Wolf mentioned that their clan was going to embark on an epic road trip to Yellowstone, a year later, I was climbing into Mary (a silver euro van) with their family for a two week adventure. Turns out:
- The Badlands are epically beautiful.
- I’m still “afraid” of horses- like not afraid, afraid, but like, not into riding on them. Broke my arm as a kid falling off a horse, what can I say? I don’t get over shit easily.
- Sisters are like sisters. They fight and then are best bros, just like Bec and I did growing up.
- Traveling with kids is awesome, they totally get into stuff adults won’t do- which is how we ended up choreographing an commemorative interpretive dance.
- I can handle, and enjoy, being around people for two weeks straight. It’s been a while and I wasn’t sure if I could handle it.
- I like being alone. Some amazing moments happen when you are up at dawn.
- I need to travel more. For real.
- There is the family you are born with and the family you choose. Both of mine are badass.
- It snows in Yellowstone, IN JUNE, but the wildflowers are in full bloom.
- The Tetons are REALLY tall.
Also, it’s a damn good thing I didn’t see a live grizzly before tent camping…. I might not have had the balls to do it.
Cheers to vacations full of rock collecting, dance parties, marshmallows, waterfalls, stupid tourists, wild animals everywhere, seeing wheatback, showing up for a wedding where you haven’t met the bride and groom, getting lost and getting found, mountains, caves, grasslands and my favorite girls.