The Question Artists and creatives! What must read books inspire your creative making? I’m looking for good reads, instructional must haves and books that make your brain buzz…..Suggestions?
How to be a creative
- Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon
- It’s Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want to Be: The World’s Best Selling Book
- Bird by Bird
- Creative Habit
- Stephen King’s memoir On Writing.
- The Artists Way
- My Name Is Asher Lev – Chaim Potok.
- Rilke’s “Letters to a Young Poet”.
- Free online artist guide to success by Xanadu Gallery out of Phoenix
- Color by Victoria Finla
- Nationalist International Anthology
- Really old diy books for techniques
- DVD’s like Gerhard Richter, Soutine, Basquiat, Frida, van Gogh, Joan Mitchell
Inspirational/ Thought Provoking
- the Beautiful Creatures series
- the Peculiar Children series
- books by Julia Cameron!
- “Catching the Big Fish” by David Lynch
- Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borge
- The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares.
- The Alchemist
- The Blue Fox and From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjon.
- Pablo Neruda
- Final Exit
The Contributors Emily Veldman, Wendy Beth Joly, Scott Dittenber, Lydia VanHoven, Sara Bakker, Alex Samuel, Jody Ostendorf, Rachel Watson, Nick Nortier, Justine Montigny, Kelli Kolakowski Belanger, Todd Freeman, Tamara H Fox, Sheryl Budnik, Michael Ingold, Susan Klein, BJ Johnson, Jesse Edwards, Sandy Hansen
I love the fact that the Facebook hivemind can be used to share personal experiences and resources. Sometimes I ask a question because I don’t know the answer, want to hear what my community has to say and lately I have been receiving requests from friends asking me to request very specific resources. The responses are generally useful but they get lost in the traffic of facebook so I thought they would be worth saving.
So this post is part of a series, Answers from the Hivemind